Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:24:09 +0200
From: u-igbb@...ey.se
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status towards next release (1.1.4)

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 01:10:35AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> - The Big Bikeshed: where to find locale files? These will be somewhat
>   musl-specific (to the extent that no other implementation uses the
>   design I have in mind, though it would be easy for others to use
>   it), so there's no existing practice to simply adopt. The files are
>   not machine-specific (we'll support either endianness .mo file) so
>   /usr/share (or other prefix variants) is the natural base location.

For me it looks like you take a wrong kind of responsibility and try to
make a decision which does not belong to a library developer.

This is an "integrator" decision, the one who knows how the library will
be used and what is the corresponding environment's policy of placing
stuff around in the file system.

In other words, as long as it is configurable, any "default" goes.
You can not know (and imho do _not_ have to pretend to) what is best or
sensible for the actual deployment.

As an "integrator" I am concerned in the following way:

- If locale is mostly static (additions or changes to locale
  can be done at the same time as library recompilations/upgrades)
  then a "default" placement is totally irrelevant, but I must be
  able to choose the actual one at compilation time - I guess this is
  expected and hence a non-issue

With the paranoia-hat on:

- if locale data is supposed to be available from more sources than the
  library upstream (then potentially even with different licenses)
  and/or if it is supposed to change often, then

  I'd badly need a possibility to tell an application at runtime where
  to look for the data (presumably via an environment variable specific
  to musl).

  Hope such kind of locale data is not expected to exist.

Regards,
Rune