Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 23:02:28 -0700
From: Isaac Dunham <ibid.ag@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Status towards next release (1.1.4)

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 01:10:35AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> I think we're pretty well on-schedule for the next release. Here's a
> summary of progress so far:
<snip>
> - Locale framework. Right now this is mostly just a framework and does
>   nothing useful.
>
> - Byte-based C locale, not committed. As discussed previously, this is
>   non-essential for conforming to current standards, so I'm inclined
>   to omit it for now. But if there's demand for it we can consider
>   adding it.

I'd like to at least test this to see how well it works.
I just discovered that sword built with C++11 regex support dies with
complaints related to the locale:
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  locale::facet::_S_create_c_locale name not valid

...so I'm wondering whether this will improve compatability.
(I'm not eager to go hunt down the issue right now; I expect it's
some variant of the usual locale issues.)

> - Gettext/mo file lookup core. This is not integrated with libc yet,
>   but tested and working.
>
> - Openrisc (or1k) port. Stefan Kristiansson's work seems basically
>   complete and is in the testing phase now. I'm hoping to merge it
>   in the next few days.
>
> There are several things we need to focus on now:
>
> - The Big Bikeshed: where to find locale files? These will be somewhat
>   musl-specific (to the extent that no other implementation uses the
>   design I have in mind, though it would be easy for others to use
>   it), so there's no existing practice to simply adopt. The files are
>   not machine-specific (we'll support either endianness .mo file) so
>   /usr/share (or other prefix variants) is the natural base location.

/usr/share/muslnls is awkward, maybe newnls?
I don't care exactly what gets decided, but a couple issues come to mind:
-the name should NOT be .../"locale" or any other name in use on Linux
systems. otherwise parallel installs break.
-it would be nice if the end of the path is at most 6 chars, since
paths have to be stored somewhere...
(Actually, this implies that 4 chars would be ideal:
"/usr/share/" is 11 non-zero bytes, then add 4, then NUL, making 16 bytes,
which shouldn't need any padding. This is, of course, decidedly premature
optimization. ;-) )

> Rich

Thanks,
Isaac Dunham