Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 09:19:07 +0100
From: Khem Raj <raj.khem@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: time64 switchover -- distro plans?

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 5:08 AM Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org> wrote:

> This thread is a call for feedback from distros (or other
> similarly-situated systems integrators) using musl with 32-bit archs.
> Everything is moving smoothly on my side for upcoming time64
> switchover which will be included in the next release, 1.2.0. But with
> this involving ABI issues between packages and changes that some
> software may not be ready for, it will likely be at least somewhat
> disruptive to distros/users.

When are we planning for 1.2 release approximately?
I would like to see it before March 2020 since openembedded/yocto releases
in April this fits well with scheduling this upgrade and gives time to test
it on various platforms

> In particular:
>
> * Are there resources I could/should make available that will help
>   things go smoothly?
>
> * Are you available for testing building and running packages against
>   time64 musl prior to release?

Yes

> From my side, I'm planning to write up release notes/announcement far
> more detailed than usual, with instructions on switchover, what ABI
> compatibility/stability does & doesn't mean, possible pitfalls, tips
> for catching code that may have time64-related bugs, etc., and just
> basic FAQ items like whether you need a 5.1+ kernel (no) or kernel
> headers (no).
>
> I'll also be building and testing some software on i386 and sh at
> least; I already started with busybox, which just got the main
> time64-readiness issue I was aware of fixed.
>
> I think I'll push the last of the time64 patches within the next week,
> possibly sooner, meaning "distros start testing" is a thing that could
> begin really soon if anyone's up for it.

I will be able to start doing master work in couple of weeks

> Rich

Content of type "text/html" skipped