Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 00:08:20 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: time64 switchover -- distro plans?

This thread is a call for feedback from distros (or other
similarly-situated systems integrators) using musl with 32-bit archs.
Everything is moving smoothly on my side for upcoming time64
switchover which will be included in the next release, 1.2.0. But with
this involving ABI issues between packages and changes that some
software may not be ready for, it will likely be at least somewhat
disruptive to distros/users.

In particular:

* Are there resources I could/should make available that will help
  things go smoothly?

* Are you available for testing building and running packages against
  time64 musl prior to release?

>From my side, I'm planning to write up release notes/announcement far
more detailed than usual, with instructions on switchover, what ABI
compatibility/stability does & doesn't mean, possible pitfalls, tips
for catching code that may have time64-related bugs, etc., and just
basic FAQ items like whether you need a 5.1+ kernel (no) or kernel
headers (no).

I'll also be building and testing some software on i386 and sh at
least; I already started with busybox, which just got the main
time64-readiness issue I was aware of fixed.

I think I'll push the last of the time64 patches within the next week,
possibly sooner, meaning "distros start testing" is a thing that could
begin really soon if anyone's up for it.