Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 13:07:45 -0500
From: "A. Wilcox" <awilfox@...lielinux.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Adapting binaries easily to musl, or database with
 binaries (musl)

On 06/07/19 11:02, Brian Peregrine wrote:
> Most Gentoo users indeed prefer building from source, but we are
> compiling it for specific machines (e.g. i686) so we are taking
> advantage of the compilation-features gentoo has to offer.

Adélie is built for 586+MMX, which is very close to 686.

> I looked at Bedrock Linux, Alpine, Void, Adelie, ... but I don't see
> them having binaries downloads either. Only package downloads are
> avilable at Alpine and Void (see https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages
> , https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=x86_64&q=firefox ), Adelie and
> Bedrock don't offer any downloads from the website at all.

We don't have a package site yet, but
https://distfiles.adelielinux.org/adelie/1.0-beta3/user/pmmx/ is going
to have every package for the 586.

Our Firefox package is
https://distfiles.adelielinux.org/adelie/1.0-beta3/user/pmmx/firefox-esr-52.9.0-r4.apk
for instance.

> Let me know how the glibc binaries can be directly edited (i.e. using
> an IDE editor as Geany) to work on musl, and if someone finds the
> download URL for the latest stable chromium binary, that would also be
> very welcome.

1) It's not possible to "edit" a glibc binary to use musl like that,
unfortunately.

2) Chromium does not work on musl.  There are (bad quality) patches
floating around, but they're beyond worthless.  Expect random crashes
and chasing upstream constantly.  Don't even bother.

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Project Lead, Adélie Linux

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)