Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 16:02:49 +0000
From: Brian Peregrine <peregrinebrian@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Adapting binaries easily to musl, or database with
 binaries (musl)

Hey Rich,

Replied in-line:
Did you roll your own "distro" from scratch, or are you using one of
the musl-based distros?
We rolled our own (and by "we", I mean VCT Labs did). The distro is
called "TAZ" and we'll release the first beta within the next months
(we're currently still in alpha-stage, no official release yet).

For the (glibc) binaries: yes using binaries posted on the website of
the distribution (in our case, Gentoo) is best, but as far as I know,
Gentoo doesn't release binaries, only ebuilds. It refers to binhosts
for binaries but there is no list of those, and even if there was, I
wouldn't trust them. For firefox, not a problem as there are binaries
from the official website, for chromium it does seem to be a bit of an
issue (but I might be wrong here).

Most Gentoo users indeed prefer building from source, but we are
compiling it for specific machines (e.g. i686) so we are taking
advantage of the compilation-features gentoo has to offer.

I looked at Bedrock Linux, Alpine, Void, Adelie, ... but I don't see
them having binaries downloads either. Only package downloads are
avilable at Alpine and Void (see https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages
, https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=x86_64&q=firefox ), Adelie and
Bedrock don't offer any downloads from the website at all.

Let me know how the glibc binaries can be directly edited (i.e. using
an IDE editor as Geany) to work on musl, and if someone finds the
download URL for the latest stable chromium binary, that would also be
very welcome.