Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 14:35:54 -0400
From: Alexis Boulva <boulvalex@...il.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: peregrinebrian@...il.com
Subject: Re: Adapting binaries easily to musl, or database with binaries (musl)

Hi Brian,

> On Jun 7, 2019, at 14:07, A. Wilcox <awilfox@...lielinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On 06/07/19 11:02, Brian Peregrine wrote:
>> Most Gentoo users indeed prefer building from source, but we are
>> compiling it for specific machines (e.g. i686) so we are taking
>> advantage of the compilation-features gentoo has to offer.

In case you're in need of a cross-compiling method for Firefox on gentoo i686 musl, once I've finished building/testing the result, I'll be uploading some experimental build environment configuration files/patches for gentoo x86_64 musl to GitHub, which I use to cross-compile from glibc to musl (why I began with a glibc chroot is a long story) and can easily be ported to other architectures (x86_64 glibc => aarch64 musl, for example). I used to have it working with older software versions and am just updating the work to current versions.

Another thing: some work on cross-compiling from x86_64 musl to other architectures, if that's more what you would prefer, has also been done by gentoo devs ( hint: https://github.com/smaeul/portage-overlay/tree/master/dev-lang/rust ), yet isn't in their musl or main ebuild repos yet. My recommendation would be to ask in #gentoo-hardened on Freenode IRC if you can, and see what your best approach would be after discussion and code review.

If you can't go on IRC, I'll let you know when I'm finished with testing here.

Regards,
Alexis

> Adélie is built for 586+MMX, which is very close to 686.
>
>> I looked at Bedrock Linux, Alpine, Void, Adelie, ... but I don't see
>> them having binaries downloads either. Only package downloads are
>> avilable at Alpine and Void (see https://pkgs.alpinelinux.org/packages
>> , https://voidlinux.org/packages/?arch=x86_64&q=firefox ), Adelie and
>> Bedrock don't offer any downloads from the website at all.
>

> We don't have a package site yet, but
> https://distfiles.adelielinux.org/adelie/1.0-beta3/user/pmmx/ is going
> to have every package for the 586.
>
> Our Firefox package is
> https://distfiles.adelielinux.org/adelie/1.0-beta3/user/pmmx/firefox-esr-52.9.0-r4.apk
> for instance.
>

>> Let me know how the glibc binaries can be directly edited (i.e. using
>> an IDE editor as Geany) to work on musl, and if someone finds the
>> download URL for the latest stable chromium binary, that would also be
>> very welcome.
>

> 1) It's not possible to "edit" a glibc binary to use musl like that,
> unfortunately.
>
> 2) Chromium does not work on musl.  There are (bad quality) patches
> floating around, but they're beyond worthless.  Expect random crashes
> and chasing upstream constantly.  Don't even bother.
>

> Best,
> --arw
>
> --
> A. Wilcox (awilfox)