Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 12:37:01 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...c.org>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: New Exherbo+musl stage: x86_64-pc-linux-musl-20160621

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 12:20:30PM -0300, Matias A. Fonzo wrote:
> El Wed, 22 Jun 2016 14:01:17 +0200
> Shiz <hi@...z.me> escribió:

> > > Please, consider switching to another format, like lzip/clzip.  See:
> > >
> > >  http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/xz_inadequate.html
> >
> > Switching to a format almost nobody has a decompressor for,
> > especially for something like a stage3 that is often extracted in a
> > live environment with no options to extra install packages, doesn’t
> > seem like a good idea.
> >
> > - Shiz
>
> Distribute files and impose to your users in having xz, is a bad idea.

Decompressing xz is supported by busybox and internally by busybox tar
and gnu tar, so I don't see any practical risk of the user not having
support. On the other hand, nobody has ever heard of lzip or clzip and
they're certainly not supported in the widely available tools.

For a compression format (from the perspective of the party doing the
decompression), the only technical details that are relevant are the
compression ratios and the memory and time requirements for
decompressing.