Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 22:14:10 +0800
From: orc <orc@...server.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Proposed roadmap to 1.0

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 19:50:41 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Here is a VERY tentative, proposed roadmap towards a 1.0 release of
> musl. Comments welcome!
>
> Rich
>

> 0.9.11
> Projected release: ASAP
> No further goals at the moment except fixing additional bugs found.
>
> 0.9.12
> Projected release: Mid to late July
> Key targets:
> - Overhaul of time handling, including zoneinfo support.
> - Overhaul resolver to better provide legacy APIs without code dup.
> - Hybrid automatic/manual audit for cruft and code smells.
> - Resolve symlink direction issue for dynamic linker.
> - Affinity/cpuset interfaces.
>
> 0.9.13
> Projected release: Early August
> Key targets:
> - Full C++ ABI compatibility with glibc/LSB.
> - Support for all remaining iconv charsets of interest (KR/TW/HK).
> - Possible overhaul of iconv for performance and clarity/simplicity.
> - Possibly add stateful iconv support.
> - Establish formal procedure for regression testing.
>
> 0.9.14
> Projected release: End of summer
> Key targets:
> - Complete documentation draft.
> - Performance testing on under-tested archs, fixing bottlenecks hit.
> - Review for gratuitous application breakage (anything that could be
>   fixed with trivial changes that don't hurt musl's quality).
>
> 1.0.0
> Projected release: Early fall
> Key targets:
> - Polished documentation.
> - Organized and coordinated publicity plan.
> - At least one new exciting addition to make the release noteworthy,
>   but which has no chance of breaking things that work. Best candidate
>   would be one or more new ports, labeled experimental.

Hi Rich,

(This probably should go into 1.0 wishlist thread, but this one
freshier)

While building a file server/router I found some bugs/incompatibilities
in getaddrinfo() and getifaddrs().

getaddrinfo() does not reports IPv6 available when asked with
AF_UNSPEC. Thus, servers like openssh or tinc (vpn daemon) still bind
only IPv4 socket when they configured to bind IPv4 and IPv6 sockets.
getifaddrs() does not returns AF_PACKET like glibc does, so list of
all system interfaces is incomplete (does not shows inactive
interfaces).

I attached patch for getaddrinfo() (adopt it if you need it)
and test program. I still have no any clues about getifaddrs(), but
that is not critical. It is usually implemented with help of netlink
(and possibly there is no other way, maybe some /proc file will give a
list)

musl-git (from 0.9.10 release). Unfortunately your git interface and
website were down at the time this email written and I cannot see any
changes in getaddrinfo.c from that version now.
I checked
https://github.com/idunham/musl/blob/master/src/network/getaddrinfo.c,
it seems to be same.

If I am missed something, let me know.
Download attachment "gai-test.c" of type "application/octet-stream" (710 bytes)

Download attachment "musl-0.9.10git-getaddrinfo-ipv4-ipv6.patch" of type "application/octet-stream" (1561 bytes)