Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:02:05 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Proposed roadmap to 1.0

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 07:50:41PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> 0.9.11
> Projected release: ASAP
> No further goals at the moment except fixing additional bugs found.

Done.

> 0.9.12
> Projected release: Mid to late July
> Key targets:
> - Overhaul of time handling, including zoneinfo support.

Done, but may need further testing before thinking about release.

> - Overhaul resolver to better provide legacy APIs without code dup.

I haven't started looking at this again yet. If I don't get to it soon
I would not mind pushing it back since I'd rather keep momentum of the
release schedule than meet every single goal. But I don't think it's
particularly hard either.

> - Hybrid automatic/manual audit for cruft and code smells.

Any suggestions on techniques to use here?

> - Resolve symlink direction issue for dynamic linker.

This issue has been around way too long. I really want it fixed for
the next release. Any ideas on how to best allow "make install"
without permissions or overriding $syslibdir? The idea is I want it to
be possible to install a _development_ environment in a user-writable
$prefix that generates binaries whose PT_INTERP is the standard
/lib/ld-musl-$(ARCH).so.1. This would not be a working runtime
environment, of course. If I recall, we had some decent ideas before;
maybe I should look back at them.

> - Affinity/cpuset interfaces.

Last time I started working on this, I got sick of it before I got
very far. There are just so many tedious macros/inline-functions to
implement. I was also frustrated with having to put so much code in a
public header. For this, I'd really like some help on both:

- ideas for making it less hideous, and
- actually writing it out.

With the above in mind, I think we're mostly on schedule for the
release roadmap. And we might be partly ahead of schedule on other
items:

> 0.9.13
> Projected release: Early August
> Key targets:
> [...]
> - Establish formal procedure for regression testing.

nsz is working on the test package which looks like it includes some
regression testing already.