Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 02:58:13 +0800
From: orc <orc@...server.ru>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Re: Vision for new platform

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:38:57 +0200
Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka@...il.com> wrote:

> >> Do we have some conclusions? systemd+udev is resource hungry, so
> >> the question is, what next? Do we have to think about preparing a
> >> new solution?
> >
> > The problem with systemd is that it is not only bloated
> > all-in-pid-number-1 thing that depends on dbus, it *comes* from
> > freedesktop, which reputation is not so good at software
> > engineering. And udev is going to be merged with that codebase.
> > And important thing: not to repeat already repeated mistakes.
>
> I understand that and instead systemd I prefer to stay with
> sysvinit+openrc... but the only solution is to prepare a new init
> stuff from scratch (systemd+udev+dbus alternative). Do you see another
> solution?

Maybe new init stuff, maybe daemon that will control other daemons and
get launched from inittab for example.
I'm just trying to warn that this must not be a second systemd and
that's all. Sure that adequate non-bloated alternative should exist.
Maybe it should be developed as a part of new platform that we
all want to have, because as an alternative alone it will not be
accepted well.