Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:41:00 -0400
From: Rich Felker <dalias@...ifal.cx>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: further work on musl's math lib

Hi all,

Since 0.8.7, nsz and I have been working a good deal on cleaning up
the math library. In particular, I noticed the size of libc.a and
libc.so had shot up quite a lot with the addition of float and long
double versions of each function, complex functions, previously
missing special functions, and additional C99 functions for IEEE math
support. Since the release, I've implemented or re-added i386(7)
assembly versions of many functions, bringing the total code size of
musl down by nearly 50k (around 10%) on i386.

So far the same can't be said for x86_64; in order to get that
covered, I need some help from x86_64 users and coders. I can port the
long double functions to x86_64 (fairly trivial to do since the FPU
code is basically the same) but I'm hesitant to commit anything
without a volunteer ready to check/test it. I'm also quite unfamiliar
with SSE math, so I'm going to need more help getting asm written for
float/double functions on x86_64.

Meanwhile, nsz has been testing, improving, and cleaning up or
replacing parts of the C code that were imported from BSD sources.
This should also result in significant size reductions and hopefully
improvements to correctness and performance.