Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 07:06:34 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: musl@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: cluts makefiles

Luka -

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 10:20:24PM +0200, Luka Mar??eti?? wrote:
> On 08/09/2011 06:11 PM, Vasiliy Kulikov wrote:
> >>Hunk #1 FAILED at 7.
> >>1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file a/Makefile.rej
> >You should use "-p1".  With -p0 patch doesn't remove any prefix
> >directories and tries to change files b/defines.mk and similar.
>
> Where should this be run? I tried root where a/ and b/ are, and also in
> the b/ itself. In both cases, the same thing happens. Maybe it is me who
> messed up line 7 now, I don't know. :-/

To apply a patch, you do not need two trees, and you do not need to
match the top-level directory names to those seen in the patch file.
Rather, you may do something like:

cp -a cluts cluts-to-patch
cd cluts-to-patch
patch -p1 < ../patch-file

or just:

cd cluts
patch -p1 < ../patch-file

but the first approach may be preferable if you haven't yet made the
determination to fully apply the patch to your tree (so you want to
experiment on a copy first).

Here are some instructions/examples on how to generate patches and how
to apply them:

http://openwall.info/wiki/how-to-make-patches
http://openwall.info/wiki/john/how-to-extract-tarballs-and-apply-patches

You may want to experiment with this for your own changes to cluts -
just so that you know how it works - before you apply a patch provided
to you by someone else.

Alexander