Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 15:04:29 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper in the cloud update 2023/02

On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 12:42:02AM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
> You write "you could install the best drivers for the gpu", but actually
> on vast.ai the host system should readily have the drivers.  This has
> both pros and cons, but it also adds to the variance - including in
> terms of which JtR formats would maybe fail tests on an unlucky driver.

Correction: only the literal portion of the driver - the component that
is loaded into the kernel and talks to the hardware - would be provided
by the host system.  The portion that compiles OpenCL would need to be
inside the container, and perhaps provided by the Docker image.  Since
JtR format failures with specific driver versions are generally caused
by miscompiles, this should allow us to avoid those.  However, I guess
the difference in versions of portions of the "driver" could sometimes
be problematic.

Alexander