Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 11:18:59 -0300
From: Claudio André <claudioandre.br@...il.com>
To: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: John the Ripper in the cloud update 2023/02

Hi. Sorry, I I replied to the sender not to the list.

Em seg., 27 de mar. de 2023 às 19:59, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
escreveu:

> On Thu, Mar 23, 2023 at 05:18:53PM -0300, Rodrigo s wrote:
> > So I discovery the https://vast.ai/
> >
> > And this is really what I was thinking in the start. And I think you
> should
> > migrate to this project. All you need to do is create a docker in
> > https://hub.docker.com!
>
> Upon sending my previous reply, I realized that it is unnecessarily too
> focused on your suggestion of vast.ai.
>
> Regarding us creating, publishing, and maintaining a Docker image in
> general, including for use on people's own machines (and also likely
> usable on vast.ai and others), I think this is a more reasonable thing
> for us to do.
>
> Claudio Andre has some Docker images used for JtR testing published:
>
> https://hub.docker.com/r/claudioandre/john

The Docker image containing 'john' itself is hosted at:
- https://github.com/openwall/john-packages/pkgs/container/john

It is the Docker image intended for (real [1]) use. Well, but it is
targeting CPUs. A few people use it, including myself, for something fast
and dirty.

The "Docker registry" contains a "Jumbo 1" Docker image, a (more stable and
updated) rolling image, and a hot and bleeding dev-version image [2]. Thus,
it is complete and even capable of making comparisons between different
versions [3].

In fact, at https://github.com/openwall/john-packages you can find one
example of one exploratory run trying to crack 'alltests.in' in my HOME
folder. For example:

docker run -it -v "$HOME":/host ghcr.io/openwall/john:latest avx2
-form=SHA512crypt /host/alltests.in --max-run=300

Therefore, the image is general purpose, including for use on people's own
machines. We probably need more feedback on how people are using it to make
it more "general purpose". [4]

We can support NVIDIA in Docker for OpenCL, yes. But will it be a failed
experiment because people won't use it?

Greetings

[1] SIMD fallback, OMP, and so on.
[2] tags are: v1.9.0J1, rolling, and latest.
[3] no need to install compilers, libraries, ..., or think about them. Just
think "Docker".
[4] we know that it was used to test and debug the ZIP format (and
underlying libraries) recently. It already has a few use cases.