Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 11:45:04 +0200
From: magnum <magnumripper@...hmail.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Should I see special characters in status updates?

On 2022-09-28 08:40, Ashildan V wrote:
> I only see lower case letters and numbers in the candidate passwords of the
> status line.
>
> (...)
>
> Have I somehow limited John to lower case letters and numbers? If so, can
> someone share the command to use all 95 ASCII characters?

No, everything is fine. Incremental mode will output most probable
candidates first and uppercase letters are far less common than
lowercase so it will take a while before any uppercase is emitted at
all. But it will.

In fact, the first 20 candidates are digits-only for the same reason.
Here's some ways to explore this:

$ ../run/john -stdout -inc:ascii | head
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, 'h' for help, almost any other key for status
123456
12345
111189
123455
111188
12344
121288
121289
112345
112344

$ ../run/john -stdout -inc:ascii | grep -nm1 '[a-z]'
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, 'h' for help, almost any other key for status
21:marissa

$ ../run/john -stdout -inc:ascii | grep -nm1 '[A-Z]'
Press 'q' or Ctrl-C to abort, 'h' for help, almost any other key for status
116150:jazdA

magnum