Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2022 22:45:09 +0300
From: Aleksey Cherepanov <lyosha@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Restoring VeraCrypt (TrueCrypt) password

Alx JZX100 <alxjzx100@...il.com> writes:
> So i decided to made a test. I created a new VeraCrypt volume (AES - SHA512) with password 12345, extract hashes with truecrypt2john.py script, provided with JtR.

That's very good that you started with a test.

While VeraCrypt can open TrueCrypt volumes, it looks like a new
VeraCrypt volume is not compatible with TrueCrypt. So
truecrypt2john.py would produce uncrackable hashes. Also it seems
VeraCrypt is not supported by JtR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VeraCrypt
"The VeraCrypt development team [...] created a new format
incompatible with that of TrueCrypt."

https://github.com/openwall/john/issues/1876
Here Dhiru Kholia says:
"VeraCrypt disk images are not compatible with TrueCrypt / CipherShed."

Issue about adding support for VeraCrypt to john is open:
https://github.com/openwall/john/issues/2012

Thanks!

--
Regards,