Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2022 20:10:09 +0200
From: "Benjamin Oppermann" <ben.opp@....cc>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: bitlocker-opencl: Error creating binary cache file: File or directory not
 found 0: OpenCL CL_INVALID_EVENT (-58) error in opencl_common.c:1827 -
 clWaitForEvents

Hello,
I'm trying to extract the Bitlocker recovery password from a hash retrieved by bitlocker2john. I used this command:

> john --format=bitlocker-opencl -mask=?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?
> d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d[-]?d?d?d?d?d?d ~/bitl-recoverypw-
> hash
The hash starts with $bitlocker$3$
I'm getting the following output:

> The library attempted to open the following supporting CUDA libraries,
> but each of them failed.  CUDA-aware support is disabled.
> libcuda.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> libcuda.dylib: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> /usr/lib64/libcuda.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> /usr/lib64/libcuda.dylib: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> If you are not interested in CUDA-aware support, then run with
> --mca opal_warn_on_missing_libcuda 0 to suppress this message.  If you are interested
> in CUDA-aware support, then try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the location
> of libcuda.so.1 to get passed this issue.
> Device 1@...l-mnj: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz
> Using default input encoding: UTF-8
> Loaded 1 password hash (BitLocker-opencl, BitLocker [SHA256 AES OpenCL])
> Cost 1 (iteration count) is 1048576 for all loaded hashes
> Error creating binary cache file: File or directory not found
> 0: OpenCL CL_INVALID_EVENT (-58) error in opencl_common.c:1827 - clWaitForEvents

This is the first time I'm trying something like this.
I have no dedicated GPU, and afaik CUDA is something to to with Nvidia GPUs, so I think the first portion doesn't apply to me.

1. Can anyone give me some pointers for fixing the error?
2. I don't know if this was encrypted by the TPM (the bitlocker2john output seems to suggest it makes a difference, gotta admit I don't understand Bitlocker very well). If so, can JtR decrypt it at all? I'm attaching the bitlocker2john output without the hashes in a text file. Let me know if posting the hashes as well could be useful.
3. What are my chances of getting a result in a reasonable time (if at all)?

You can see the machine I'm running this on above. Surprisingly, the bitlocker2john retrieval of hashes was only a matter of a few hours, less than half a day. The drive is 512GB, dd'ing it to a usb drive also didn't take more than a couple hours.

Some context: I have the user password for this drive, but it's not helping me since the Windows 10 laptop that I dd'ed it from is unbootable (a friend gave it to me to fix, and apparently she had no idea the Windows drive was encrypted). I need the 48 digit Recovery Password to continue fixing the bootloader. When going to the Windows recovery command line, it asks for the Recovery Password.

I went through the procedure described here: https://openwall.info/wiki/john/OpenCL-BitLocker where I was brought from this Youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gue6suh7ZlM <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gue6suh7ZlM&list=PLY4M2ooqLQ4H4J4wR88fIvilRfIVjm-cG&index=1&t=476s>
Btw I also tried Hashcat, but  <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gue6suh7ZlM&list=PLY4M2ooqLQ4H4J4wR88fIvilRfIVjm-cG&index=1&t=476s>it gave me another cryptic error, and apparently it only supports getting the user password which is no use for me here. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gue6suh7ZlM&list=PLY4M2ooqLQ4H4J4wR88fIvilRfIVjm-cG&index=1&t=476s>
I am running this on a Manjaro Linux machine and installed John and OpenCL from its distro repositories. John version is 1.9.0.jumbo1-7, OpenCL runtime is 1:18.1.0.015-3

Thanks for any hints, best regards Ben
Content of type "text/html" skipped

View attachment "bitlocker2john.output-nohashes.txt" of type "text/plain" (2077 bytes)