Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 19:43:47 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU benchmarks?

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 07:19:04PM +0200, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:
> BTW, do LWS and GWS matter here? shopuld they be at least shown in the
> output?

Yes, they matter, and they should probably be included.

Ditto for GPU driver version and OpenCL backend version.  For NVIDIA
GPUs, you'd include things like these:

Driver Version: 418.39       CUDA Version: 10.1

as printed by nvidia-smi.

> so we could start with same hashes as CPU tables have..

I think that choice is not ideal.  We'd also need to add sha*-crypt to
all tables, whereas our LM is in a poor state on CPU (doesn't scale to
many threads, except with "--fork") and our bcrypt-opencl is in a poor
state on NVIDIA GPUs.  However, if you want to show JtR shortcomings
along with CPU/GPU differences, then these are fine, they just should
not be misinterpreted as indicating the CPUs and GPUs can only achieve
roughly those speeds at these two hash types.

Alexander