Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 20:57:11 +0200
From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@...tomas.sk>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GPU benchmarks?

On 25.10.21 19:43, Solar Designer wrote:
>Yes, they matter, and they should probably be included.
>
>Ditto for GPU driver version and OpenCL backend version.  For NVIDIA
>GPUs, you'd include things like these:
>
>Driver Version: 418.39       CUDA Version: 10.1
>
>as printed by nvidia-smi.

I have one nvidia card and laptop with intel and amd GPUs.

I guess these could be important:

% clinfo | grep -e 'Platform Version' -e 'Device Name' -e 'Driver Version' -e 'Max compute units' -e 'Max clock frequency'
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 11.2.162
  Device Name                                     GeForce GT 1030
  Driver Version                                  460.91.03
  Max compute units                               3
  Max clock frequency                             1430MHz

>> so we could start with same hashes as CPU tables have..
>
>I think that choice is not ideal.  We'd also need to add sha*-crypt to
>all tables, whereas our LM is in a poor state on CPU (doesn't scale to
>many threads, except with "--fork") and our bcrypt-opencl is in a poor
>state on NVIDIA GPUs.

how else are we supposed to see the progress if they are optimised? :)

>  However, if you want to show JtR shortcomings
>along with CPU/GPU differences, then these are fine, they just should
>not be misinterpreted as indicating the CPUs and GPUs can only achieve
>roughly those speeds at these two hash types.

I put a note about this to the wiki:

https://openwall.info/wiki/john/benchmarks#GPU-benchmarks

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@...tomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.