Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 00:29:11 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: JtR Jumbo 1.9.0 configure error on Kali-rolling 2020.2

Hi,

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 03:35:52AM -0400, Gatt427 Doesn't Matter wrote:
> Originally I had no version of openssl installed so it failed. I then
> installed openssl 1.1 manually and compiled it.  I'm new to compiling my
> own things so its quite possible I messed that up terribly.  I then removed
> all of that after finding its pieces using "whereis" and installed
> libssl-dev via apt-get, which according to the mountain of github and forum
> posts I read, should have worked, but doesn't.  The configure fails on the
> line "checking for SSL_CTX_new in -lssl... no", then telling me I dont have
> libssl installed.  Diving into the config.log shows that there is an
> "undefined reference to 'X509_get_signature_nid' and 5 others when dealing
> with /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.

Installing libssl-dev via apt-get was the correct thing to do.

It appears that you haven't fully cleaned out your manually compiled
OpenSSL from the system.  Perhaps you did something like "sudo make
install", which places files in various directories like /usr/local seen
here bypassing the distro's package manager.  You'll probably need to
more fully clean this out, or restart with a clean distro install onto
which you wouldn't be "make install"ing stuff globally like that.

Another option could be to reconfigure your distro so that it would no
longer prefer what's in /usr/local over its system directories.  For
libraries, that's specified in /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/ld.so.conf.d,
after editing which you need to run "ldconfig" for the changes to fully
take effect.  However, this is probably too advanced for you and even if
successful you end up with a system configured differently from how it
was meant by the distro maintainers.

Alexander