Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 03:35:52 -0400
From: "Gatt427 Doesn't Matter" <gatt427@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: JtR Jumbo 1.9.0 configure error on Kali-rolling 2020.2

Hello,
I am trying to build a JtR cracking cluster using MPI.  I am essentially
following the guidance at
https://countuponsecurity.com/2015/05/07/step-by-step-clustering-john-the-ripper-on-kali/
however I am running into issues when I run "./configure --enable-mpi".
Originally I had no version of openssl installed so it failed. I then
installed openssl 1.1 manually and compiled it.  I'm new to compiling my
own things so its quite possible I messed that up terribly.  I then removed
all of that after finding its pieces using "whereis" and installed
libssl-dev via apt-get, which according to the mountain of github and forum
posts I read, should have worked, but doesn't.  The configure fails on the
line "checking for SSL_CTX_new in -lssl... no", then telling me I dont have
libssl installed.  Diving into the config.log shows that there is an
"undefined reference to 'X509_get_signature_nid' and 5 others when dealing
with /usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.  I dont I know what information would
help you understand my problem, as I'm pretty new to this.  Please let me
know what info you need from me.  I really want to get this JtR cluster
working and this as been a great learning experience so far!
Thanks,
Gatt427