Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 19:17:31 -0400
From: Rich Rumble <richrumble@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: database of more rules

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 9:18 AM Johny Krekan <krekan@...nykrekan.com> wrote:

> Hello, I am trying to create wordlist which contains original words as
> well
> as words modified by rules to be next used in programs which do not have
> rules options when using dictionary attack. I have used following syntax
> on
> Windows:
> john --wordlist=original.txt --rules --stdout >listwithrules.txt
> After running that, the john generated 50 mangled words from a single one.
> I would like to ask whether some of you have larger database of rule which
> I could include in to my configuration to be able to create more derivates
> for example like the elcomsoft wireless security auditor has.
> Thanx for info
> Johny Krekan

You've given no rules, so I was surprised that command worked at all!-)
c:\john\run>echo 1-word >1word.txt
c:\john\run>john -w=1word.txt -rules -stdout
   Using default input encoding: UTF-8
  1-word
  1-wrd
  1-word
3p 0:00:00:00 100.00% (2019-08-09 19:08) 24.19p/s 1-word
-----------
I find that a little curious, but not 100% unexpected.
If you look through the john.conf file and accompanying .conf files you
will see a huge amount of rules.
Popular rules are:
-rules=jumbo (This rule runs 4 other sets of rules)
-rules-best64
-rules=wordlist
-rules=single
-rules=korelogic

If I run --rules=single on "one word" it expands to 519 guesses.
-rules=jumbo is 3722
-rules=best64 is 72
and -rules=korelogic is ...a lot, but was fun to watch!
-rich