Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 14:55:18 -0500
From: Adam Lininger <arlininger@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Using cracked non-ascii passwords in a wordlist

All,
I'm trying to work at getting an efficient way to feed previously cracked
hashes back in to a wordlist for future use. I'm using the 2015 Crack Me if
you Can competition hashes for this effort.

One such hash, shown below, was cracked using non-ascii characters. From
the output of `john --show | less`:

f63e00ed861b130f0ac9ddd040ecf63a:<C8><CB>Ke<C9>

As you can see, there are non-ascii characters in the resulting hash.
However, putting the actual non-ascii characters in to a wordlist is
ineffective at cracking the same hash on a fresh machine.

Is there any way to make john output cracks in a more cannonical format?
Alternatively, can I input non-ascii wordlists in a more cannonical format?

Adam