Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 13:06:24 +0000
From: Allen Kayal <AKayal@...egra1.net>
To: "john-users@...ts.openwall.com" <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: RE: unexpected benchmarks nvidia 1070 ti and 780 ti

Jeez sorry for the dumb question guys and appreciate the fast responses. I tend to mask for real engagements but never paid attention to benchmark speeds because my cards were ancient. Definitely saw the message but resorted to troubleshooting because I've got a newer card in an older system and a plethora of ways to install drivers. Maybe different wording in the message would be helpful, in my case I feel a little silly making this mistake when it's clearly documented.

For most fast GPU formats, mask mode (including hybrid) is several orders of
magnitude faster than any other cracking mode, as the mask (or part of it) is
applied on GPU side.  Hybrid mask can thus be used as a GPU accelerator for
any mode except single.  To benchmark the speed of such format using a mask,
use "--test --mask" (using some default mask) or optionally with a specific
mask, eg. "--test --mask=?a?a".  You can list all formats featuring internal
mask using "--list=formats -format=mask".

root@...-ubuntu:/usr/src/JohnTheRipper/run# ./john --list=formats -format=mask
oldoffice-opencl, descrypt-opencl, krb5pa-md5-opencl, LM-opencl,
mscash-opencl, mysql-sha1-opencl, NT-opencl, ntlmv2-opencl, raw-MD4-opencl,
raw-MD5-opencl, raw-SHA1-opencl, raw-SHA256-opencl, raw-SHA512-opencl,
salted-SHA1-opencl, SL3-opencl, XSHA512-opencl