Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 10:34:59 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: unexpected benchmarks nvidia 1070 ti and 780 ti

On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 10:23:58AM +0200, magnum wrote:
> On 2019-05-06 03:11, Allen Kayal wrote:
> >Anyone else experience slower than expected benchmarks? I'm not a hashcat
> >user but ran a test to see if differences reported in output
> >
> >root@...-ubuntu:/usr/src/JohnTheRipper/run# ./john --test=30
> >--format=nt-opencl --dev=1
> >Device 1@...-ubuntu: GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
> >Benchmarking: NT-opencl [MD4 OpenCL]... DONE
> >Note: This format may also be benchmarked using --mask (see doc/MASK).
>
> Hashcat uses mask acceleration in benchmarks by default. As the text
> above hints, we're not (yet). Try "--test --mask" for a whole different
> ballpark of speed.

magnum, I think we should revise the message to be:

Warning: This format should be used and benchmarked with --mask (see doc/MASK).

Allen, would the above change have avoided the confusion for you?
If not, do you have a better suggestion?

You may also use "--mask" along with other cracking modes to form hybrid
modes.  Examples:

https://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2019/03/25/13

This is the way to go when using JtR against fast hashes on GPU.

Alexander