Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 14:55:16 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: PKZip ZipCrypto password hashes not found

On Sat, May 11, 2019 at 08:56:58AM +0800, Zoodiac Molmorat wrote:
> Would it help if I attached the zip file or pasted the entire hash? It's
> nothing I need to keep private.

This might help, but I don't know how large those are.  We only accept
tiny files (up to 100 KB or so) directly on the mailing list.

> > Running zip2john is successful which gives me a really long pkzip hash,
> > but when I try to run John on it (using my own wordlist of all the numbers
> > from 000000 to 999999 as i know the password is a 6 digit number) I get
> > given a no password hashes loaded error.

This suggests that one of the following is true:

1. You're somehow not invoking the programs right.  Please copy-paste
the _exact_ commands you're using.  Do not re-type, but copy-paste.  We
need to ensure every single character is right.

2. In particular, please ensure you do _not_ give any "--format" option
to John, as that would lock it to only PKZIP or to only WinZip "hashes",
whereas zip2john is capable of both.

3. The version of zip2john you ran is somehow incompatible with the
version of John you're running.  Did both come from the same build?
If not, please try using versions from the same build.

4. The version/build of John you're trying to use somehow lacks ZIP
support.  This happens when the system the build was made on lacked
relevant libraries.

5. You've triggered some bug or shortcoming in our code.

> > Looking at previous messages it recommends updating to 1.8.0.13 which i
> > already have but it hasn't solved the issue. I'm on Windows, if it helps

Do you mean the binary build john-1.8.0.13-jumbo-b7eae75d7-win64.zip
that we currently have here? -

https://download.openwall.net/pub/projects/john/contrib/windows/

Have you re-ran zip2john after updating to that version?

It could also help for you to generate a tiny encrypted ZIP file with a
known password and use this to verify your zip2john and john usage.

Alexander