Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 17:54:48 +0200
From: Nikolay Kichukov <hijacker@...um.net>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: keepass2john cannot extract the hash from a keepass 2.x database

Hi folks,

I am using JtR 1.9 bleeding jumbo branch.

The keepass database encryption algo is: AES: 256-bit and the Key
derivation function: AES-KBD(KBDX 3.1)

The program fails to extract a password hash from the database file,
below output is printed:

Warning: invalid UTF-8 seen reading /tmp/Passwords.kdbx
Using default input encoding: UTF-8
No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)

I have tried alternative method of generating the hash via a python script:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/HarmJ0y/116fa1b559372804877e604d7d367bbc/raw/c0c6f45ad89310e61ec0363a69913e966fe17633/keepass2john.py

however, the hash produced by this utility does not work in john.

I read v2 is supported, but it does not work for me. Any pointers are
welcome.

Cheers,
-N

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (489 bytes)