Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 21:36:55 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: keepass2john cannot extract the hash from a keepass 2.x database

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 05:54:48PM +0200, Nikolay Kichukov wrote:
> The program fails to extract a password hash from the database file,
> below output is printed:
>
> Warning: invalid UTF-8 seen reading /tmp/Passwords.kdbx
> Using default input encoding: UTF-8
> No password hashes loaded (see FAQ)

> however, the hash produced by this utility does not work in john.

Can you please post the full sequence of commands you're using (both
keepass2john and john), perhaps with "wc" (word count) on the
corresponding files inbetween, so that we get a rough idea of the files'
sizes.  Does /tmp/Passwords.kdbx contain the output of keepass2john?
Can you show roughly what this file contains, like with "wc" or/and
"head -c 10" (first 10 characters)?

Alexander