Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:45:34 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: fault message running pwddump with Mojave 10.14.4

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 07:59:29PM -0400, Dolf Verhoeven wrote:
> I have a 2018 MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.4.
>
> When I run the pwddump command I get fault messages resulting in an empty password file.

It looks like you're using the xpwdump script, which is part of JtR Pro
and is also posted here:

https://www.openwall.com/lists/john-users/2018/04/09/3

That script is intended for Mac OS X versions 10.4 to 10.6 - yes, those
old versions.  For 10.7, we have lion2john.pl and lion2john-alt.pl in
jumbo.  For 10.8 and newer, including your recent version, we have
mac2john.py and mac2john-alt.py in current bleeding-jumbo.  mac2john.py
was previously called ml2john.py (where "ml" stood for Mountain Lion)
and is available under that older name in some pre-compiled
distributions of jumbo for macOS.  We've recently renamed it to
mac2john.py (since it's not specific to Mountain Lion) along with making
other changes to it.

You would need jumbo to actually crack hashes from recent macOS anyway.

You may download the latest bleeding-jumbo source code (contains
mac2john.py and mac2john-alt.py):

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper/archive/bleeding-jumbo.tar.gz

or you may download an older revision of jumbo pre-compiled for macOS
(contains ml2john.py):

https://download.openwall.net/pub/projects/john/contrib/macosx/

I don't have a Mac handy, so I'd appreciate it if someone else in the
community uses this opportunity to test and post very specific
instructions on use of these scripts, including the necessary sudo
commands, paths to plist file directories, etc.  I'd like to have such a
mailing list posting added to: