Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 18:42:57 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Jetson nano - Like the Xeon PHI?

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:58:55AM -0400, Rich Rumble wrote:
> Wondering if a cheap device like this could be used to create a nice
> cracking rig on the cheap?
> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/autonomous-machines/embedded-systems/jetson-nano/

No.  It will be either slow (few boards) or expensive (many boards).

I am puzzled by the "like Xeon Phi" in the Subject since this device is
dissimilar to Xeon Phi... except in that neither is cost-effective for
our use case compared to typical large(r) gaming GPUs.  I doubt that's
the similarity you had in mind.

Per my rough estimate, it'd take 30 or probably more of these boards to
match one high-end GPU.  That would cost $3k, but you could have had a
high-end gaming GPU for $1k.  It's similar with Xeon Phi - a ~$3k device
that is a lot slower than a $1k gaming GPU for most of our needs.

There may be a small percentage of hash types where a cluster like this
would perform faster, especially through use of the CPUs - e.g., perhaps
it'd have an advantage at bcrypt - but then a cluster of Raspberry Pi 3
will perform similarly at a fraction of the cost.

Alexander