Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 18:24:32 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: DMG file password cracking

Hi all,

Morgan's message had a screenshot attached.  Screenshots are discouraged
here - it's best to copy-paste textual info right into messages - and
besides many image files are automatically stripped from messages
because some people tend to have images as part of their signatures.

Morgan -

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 11:33:45AM -0500, Morgan Woodward wrote:
> okay I am trying to use dmg2john to convert my file but I will need more
> specific instructions. I have it downloaded and open the program but I know
> nothing about coding and what to type. I am also unsure of my file's
> location. attached is a how i know where to look for that.

As an exception to the no-screenshots preference here, I took a look at
your screenshot (that didn't make it through to other list members, but
was available to us list moderators).  In there, you appear to have the
full pathname listed after "Where:".  You need to do something like this:

1. Download and extract e.g. john-1.8.0.9-jumbo-macosx_sse4.zip (already
done?)

2. Take note of where you extracted it to.

3. Open a Terminal.

4. Type a "cd" command with that pathname, putting the pathname it into
apostrophes because otherwise you'll run into issues with its embedded
whitespace characters.  The command might be:

cd '/Macintosh HD/Users/smorg5127/Documents/Research/Research'

Hopefully, it's correct and will succeed.  If not, split it into several
"cd" commands - one directory at a time - to see where it fails.  Omit
the leading "/" before directory names on commands other than the first.

5. Once you're in the correct directory, type:

/path/to/john-1.8.0.9-jumbo-macosx_sse2/run/dmg2john 'GWS Research.dmg' > mydmg.txt

You'd need to replace the "/path/to" with the actual pathname you noted
in step 2.  If successful, this will produce file called mydmg.txt near
your .dmg file.  You can take check its size with:

ls -l mydmg.txt

or/and use any file manager app to access it.

6. Try actually cracking the password with:

/path/to/john-1.8.0.9-jumbo-macosx_sse2/run/john mydmg.txt

Alternatively to the above, you can "cd" to the directory with dmg2john
and then use simply "./dmg2john" (no full pathname to it anymore, just a
dot in its place) and specify the full pathname to your .dmg file as
dmg2john's parameter.

I hope this helps.

Alexander