Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 11:33:45 -0500
From: Morgan Woodward <mjwoodwa5@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: DMG file password cracking

okay I am trying to use dmg2john to convert my file but I will need more
specific instructions. I have it downloaded and open the program but I know
nothing about coding and what to type. I am also unsure of my file's
location. attached is a how i know where to look for that.

On Wed, Jan 9, 2019 at 3:36 PM Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:

> Hi Morgan,
>
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 03:20:57PM -0600, Morgan Woodward wrote:
> > I've put myself in quite the predicament. I have locked myself out of a
> > password protected .dmg file that contains months of research I worked on
> > over the summer. I let it sit too long and now I can't remember exactly
> > what the password is. I know generally what it should be, but I can't get
> > it after trying about 100 different passwords. I am looking to download a
> > program that can help me brute force crack it. Which do you recommend? I
> > have very basic computer knowledge, but can learn pretty easily. I have a
> > macbook air running OS High Sierra 10.13.6
>
> You can try one of the community-contributed builds of JtR for macOS:
>
> https://download.openwall.net/pub/projects/john/contrib/macosx/
>
> On newer hardware, use the "avx2" version.  If it tells you "Sorry, AVX2
> is required for this build", then use the "sse4" version found nearby.
>
> You'll need to first use the dmg2john program on your .dmg file,
> redirecting this program's output to a text file, like this in a
> Terminal after cd'ing to the "run" directory:
>
> ./dmg2john /path/to/file.dmg > file.txt
>
> Then use JtR itself on the resulting file, like this:
>
> ./john file.txt
>
> Once you confirm you got this working, the community in here will help
> you focus the attack based on whatever you recall about the password.
>
> Alexander

Content of type "text/html" skipped