Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 15:14:42 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Most efficient way to brute force

On Wed, Dec 05, 2018 at 08:26:25AM -0500, Powen Cheng wrote:
> I have tested mask mode and thank you for this suggestion.

I recommend that you share more detail on what you tried and how it's
working for you or not.  That way, the community should be able to help
you focus the attack for your specific case, given what you recall about
the password.  This is far more important than using your GPUs better or
at all.  Even a 100x difference in performance isn't as important as
properly focusing the attack.

> As for now, I still need to figure how to create a GPU system properly
> before I let this system run for the real task.
> I am very limited with what driver and hardware I could use with Ubuntu
> 14.04.1 as in 16.04 the opencl was removed unless I am using Nvidia cards
> and I still need to get pass this error.
> OpenCL CL_INVALID_DEVICE (-33) error in opencl_common.c:452 - Error
> querying PLATFORM_NAME

I'm out of context on this, but "opencl was removed unless I am using
Nvidia cards" makes no sense to me.  I'm not setting up new GPU boxes
often, but FWIW here are (edited) commands I saved from my shell history
on a client's Ubuntu 18.x setup I helped make a few months ago:

sudo bash
apt-get install libssl-dev opencl-headers ocl-icd-opencl-dev clinfo
cd /path/to/amdgpu-pro-18.30-641594
./amdgpu-pro-install --opencl=pal,legacy --headless

JtR worked there with the AMD GPUs fine.

Alexander