Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:19:19 -0500
From: Matt Weir <cweir@...edu>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Cc: ehgadzama@...il.com
Subject: Re: Data Sets

To follow on with what Alexander said, one challenge is that many
researchers have restrictions on sharing password lists, even if the
lists are publicly available somewhere else, due to the sensitive
nature of them.

Some things that help if you can provide in your request:
1) Naming the research institution, (if applicable) that you are associated with
2) Stating that you are the lead professor with a link to your bio, or
naming the lead professor
3) Documentation that you have gone through an IRB, (or IRB like
process if you are working outside academia)
4) As silly as it sounds, sending your request from a .edu e-mail address

Now admittedly much of the above only applies if you are at a research
institution. If you are not, then  the links that Alexander provided
above are a great starting point. Unfortunately (from a defender's
perspective), finding password lists online is generally pretty easy

One thing that having a discussion on the passwords list would help,
(which Alexander mentioned), is people can provide tips as to the
pluses and minuses of each of the lists. Due to the nature of which
most of them were obtained, each list has its own peculiarities and
most of them are fairly messy in their own unique way.

Good luck!
Matt Weir