Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 10:02:14 +0100 (CET)
From: Vojtěch Večeřa <Vecera.Vojta@...nam.cz>
To: <john-users@...ts.openwall.com>
Subject: Chunk of work specification

Hello,

first I'd like to apologise for any mistakes with using the mailing list. It
is my first experience with this kind of communication.

To the point: I'd like to make a wrapper around JtR which would allow me to
control the starting position and the size of the chunk. The aim is to use
the wrapper in some distributed system. Now the question is, are there some
options to do this? I'm in of something similar to Hashcat's --skip and --
limit. I know that JtR has --node parameter but it doesn't seem too
intuitive nor precise when it comes to the exact sizes of chunks. I want to
use some dynamic scheduling algorithms. So that I can control for how long
will the machine be in use. The algorithm will then create the chunk of such
a size that given machine will compute it in given time, let's say a
minute).

I guess I could abuse session file for specification of the starting point
(Hashcat's --skip) but I don't see anything that could be used as Hashcat's
--limit. In JtR's context, the things I need are provided by the Markov mode
the start and end is but then I lack at least specification of the mask.

So is there some way how to achieve what I need using John? Or is it even
possible to add these tiny things to John? Is the generator build the way
that this would be possible implement? I could try to do it myself I just
need some info whether it is worth the time or whether I'd have to rewrite
half of the John to make it work.

Thanks for any information regarding the topic in advance.

Vojtech Vecera