Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 12:14:28 +0100
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: Emma Gadzama <ehgadzama@...il.com>
Cc: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Data Sets

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 11:41:21AM +0100, Emma Gadzama wrote:
> I am conducting a research on improved password strength metrics. Could you
> please avail me free password dataset  to support my research about
> passwords.

This isn't exactly a john-users topic.  Please consider joining the
passwords mailing list and bringing this up in there:

https://www.openwall.com/lists/passwords/

Also, you don't appear to be subscribed to john-users - or at least not
under this address (I used my list admin powers to find out).  Please
consider subscribing so that you don't miss replies and are able to
participate in discussions (without creating new threads for each reply,
which would make at least me angry).

As to your actual question, one of the commonly used password lists is
RockYou, downloadable from here:

https://wiki.skullsecurity.org/Passwords

There's also the newer and larger Pwned Passwords list, but it's in the
form of fast hashes that you need to (re-)crack, not plaintexts:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/Passwords

Of course, people already re-cracked nearly all of those hashes, but I'm
unaware of the results of such work being freely redistributed.  You can
probably re-crack them quickly by using plaintext lists from:

https://hashes.org

If/when you bring this up on the passwords list, I suggest you also
explain your research project - chances are people will tell you how
it's already been done or/and is inferior to what's already been done,
and then you could try to come up with something novel or/and improved
and re-focus your project accordingly.  There's a lot of work in this
area, so innovating is non-trivial.

Alexander