Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 14:45:29 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: good program for sorting large wordlists

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 02:07:04PM +0200, JohnyKrekan wrote:
> My question now is not about sorting but about the wordlist which you would
> use for hash testing and is already saved on disk, the smaller (with all
> words lowercase) or the bigger (mixed). Is it better to let the program for
> example EWSA make the case modifications or use bigger one and disable all
> the case modifying rules.

Oh, you didn't include a question mark there, so I assumed it wasn't a
question but rather you stating the dilemma.

Ideally, you'd combine the advantages of both approaches using e.g.:

./john -w=input.lst --rules=best64 --min-length=8 --stdout | ./unique output.lst

assuming that the first rule is to keep words as-is.  Then you'd use
output.lst either with JtR itself or with another tool like EWSA (why?)

Here, input.lst is your original wordlist with the mixed-case lines
still intact.

If the first rule isn't to keep words as-is (not a colon, ":"), then you
can revise the command e.g. to:

(./john -w=input.lst --min-length=8 --stdout && ./john -w=input.lst --rules=someother --min-length=8 --stdout) | ./unique output.lst

or you can indeed add a colon to the start of the "someother" ruleset,
then use the simpler command.

Alexander