Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 17:51:31 +0200
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: good program for sorting large wordlists

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 02:45:29PM +0200, Solar Designer wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 02:07:04PM +0200, JohnyKrekan wrote:
> > My question now is not about sorting but about the wordlist which you would
> > use for hash testing and is already saved on disk, the smaller (with all
> > words lowercase) or the bigger (mixed). Is it better to let the program for
> > example EWSA make the case modifications or use bigger one and disable all
> > the case modifying rules.
>
> Oh, you didn't include a question mark there, so I assumed it wasn't a
> question but rather you stating the dilemma.
>
> Ideally, you'd combine the advantages of both approaches using e.g.:
>
> ./john -w=input.lst --rules=best64 --min-length=8 --stdout | ./unique output.lst
>
> assuming that the first rule is to keep words as-is.  Then you'd use
> output.lst either with JtR itself or with another tool like EWSA (why?)
>
> Here, input.lst is your original wordlist with the mixed-case lines
> still intact.
>
> If the first rule isn't to keep words as-is (not a colon, ":"), then you
> can revise the command e.g. to:
>
> (./john -w=input.lst --min-length=8 --stdout && ./john -w=input.lst --rules=someother --min-length=8 --stdout) | ./unique output.lst
>
> or you can indeed add a colon to the start of the "someother" ruleset,
> then use the simpler command.

I realized the advice I provided above is a poor fit for wordlist files
this large, where the output file would be too large and would take too
long to produce (as "unique" would have to read it back too many times).

I commonly use this approach for more focused and thus smaller input
wordlist files.

Alexander