Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 14:04:17 -0400
From: Jim Seymour <jseymour+jtr@...xNet.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: KeePass v2.x Files?

Hi All,

I've searched and searched and come up pretty much empty on this
question.

I'm trying to recover the lost/forgotten (never really known,
thought they thought they did?) password for a KeePass v2.x database.

I've built 1.8.0-jumbo-1.  I ran keepass2john against the db and,
from what I've gleaned on-line, am running

    john-1.8.0-jumbo-1/run/john -incremental:alpha --format=KeePass
    <file>

against the result.  (With the leading cruft up to and including the
":" removed from <file>, as per what I read.)

CPU load is running 98-99%, so it's working on *something* :),
question is: Will this actually work, assuming JrR actually matches
the password?

That's the thing: I haven't been able to find out whether JrR jumbo
*can* crack a KeePass v2.x hash.

Thanks,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is