Date: Thu, 4 May 2017 14:33:13 +0530
From: Dhiru Kholia <dhiru.kholia@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: KeePass v2.x Files?

On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 02:04:17PM -0400, Jim Seymour wrote:
> I'm trying to recover the lost/forgotten password for a KeePass v2.x
> database.
>
> I've built 1.8.0-jumbo-1...

Using the latest JtR jumbo code from the following repository URL is
recommended,

https://github.com/magnumripper/JohnTheRipper

> CPU load is running 98-99%, so it's working on *something* :),
> question is: Will this actually work, assuming JtR actually matches
> the password?

Yes, it should.

> That's the thing: I haven't been able to find out whether JtR jumbo
> *can* crack a KeePass v2.x hash.

If keepass2john was able to extract the hash, JtR jumbo should be able
to crack it.

When in doubt, do not hesitate to look at the source itself. For
example, keepass2john.c has a line saying "KeePass 2.x support is based
on KeeCracker".

--
Dhiru