Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 04:15:26 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSHA-512 supported?

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 05:05:29PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 8 February 2013 17:01, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> > Neither matches standard sha512crypt.  I also tried other likely default
> > iteration counts (like 1000 and 10000) - no luck.

I've searched the entire 1000 to 50000 range now, using commands like:

perl -e 'for ($i=20000; $i<=30000; $i++) { print crypt("colorado", "\$6\$rounds=$i\$otYx2eSXx.OkEY4F"), "\n"; }' | fgrep No5ZvS

Yes, this assumes that the colorado sample is correct.

> I am thinking that their base64 transformation is not the same as that
> used by the other OS crypts but is using the old crypt style base64
> with different letters and a slightly different order of
> transformation.

Doesn't sha512crypt use the exact same kind of base 64 encoding that the
traditional DES crypt did?  The character set and the order of
characters is certainly the same.  Does the encoding differ in some
other way?

So far, I am only aware of bcrypt using its own subtly different
encoding.  I thought SHA-crypt used the traditional encoding.  No?

Alexander