Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 17:05:29 -0700
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: SSHA-512 supported?

On 8 February 2013 17:01, Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 12:47:19AM +0100, Frank Dittrich wrote:
>> I tried to google for more information, but got
>>
>> | Our apologies
>> |
>> | The IBM developerWorks Web site is currently under maintenance.
>> |
>> | Please try again later. Thank you.
>
> There's a copy in Google's cache, which gives this sample:
>
> | Change the user's password:
> | # passwd mehdi   <-- I set this password: "Thisisanewlongpassword:)"
> |
> | If you are curious, have a look at /etc/security/passwd:
> | # grep -p mehdi /etc/security/passwd
> | mehdi:
> |         password = {ssha512}06$Zq5raZlRV3yGMiqT$07e5A.zEP/XnDWto5B4.JMszwgWEIH68mMcrzHCC9h5OmKEQ.SsBKw3hexid3hT9X0al.39iSV/Xi1txzU5C..
>
> This page gives another:
>
> http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/aix/administrator/security/password_hash/?page=2
>
> | If I change the password for the user brian to "colorado" again the /etc/security/passwd file will now show:
> |
> | brian:
> |       password =
> | {ssha512}06$otYx2eSXx.OkEY4F$No5ZvSfhYuB1MSkBhhcKJIjS0.q// wdkcZwF9/TXi3EnL6Qero
> | nmS0jCc3P2aEV9WLi5arzN1YjVwkx8bng..
>
> Neither matches standard sha512crypt.  I also tried other likely default
> iteration counts (like 1000 and 10000) - no luck.

I am thinking that their base64 transformation is not the same as that
used by the other OS crypts but is using the old crypt style base64
with different letters and a slightly different order of
transformation.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."