Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 11:15:32 -0700
From: Stephen John Smoogen <smooge@...il.com>
To: john-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: Using Multiple Wordlists

On 14 January 2013 10:50, Luis Santana <hacktalk@...ktalk.net> wrote:
> Short of doing something like :
>
> cat wordlists/* |john -pi
>
> Is there any way to have john use multiple wordlists? Failing that, is there
> any way that I could possibly speed up performance during the piping
> process? I'm sure using cat isn't the most effective but maybe some linux
> guru here knows a hack to get a bit more bang for my buck.

I don't like using the piping because it doesn't have much ways to
deal with duplicates which show up quite a bit. It also breaks down on
the simple problem that if your computer reboots, crashes etc you have
no idea where you were in the wordlists. I found that over most
wordsets I got a lot of duplicates (where 60% of one set of
dictionaries were the same words in different groups.)

Combining them and using jtr's unique worked a lot better and then
allowed suspended/crashed/etc jtr's to be restarted

so here is how I figure out what ones are dupes and put them at the
top of the list because they usually are passwords that are
ubiquitous(sp?). This works for lots of small dictionaries (say less
than 2 GB of stuff).

cat wordlists/* | sort | uniq -c | sort -bnr | cut -c 9- | unique big-wordlist

For very large ones I just make due with a sort -o big-wordlist -S <as
much memory as I can spare> wordlist/* and then use

john --wordlist=big-wordlist

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."