Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 09:02:23 +0200
From: Frank Dittrich <frank_dittrich@...mail.com>
To: john-dev@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: src/ licensing

On 04/19/2013 02:55 AM, Solar Designer wrote:
> Fellow JtR developers -
>
> As promised, here's the portion of john-1.7.9-jumbo-7-licensing.txt
> pertaining to src/ files.  I suggest that you search it for the words
> unclear, issue, your first name, your nickname, and for question marks -
> and try to clarify in your replies.  Thanks!
>
> john-1.7.9-jumbo-7/src:
[...]
> common-opencl.c                 GPLv2; unclear; code; was contributed by authors for 1.7+, hence GPLv2 is implied

Is the name of individual authors important?
git blame can give a first idea who contributed how much, but it can be
misleading.
For common-opencl.c, the line counts attributed to individual authors is:

    503 magnum
    153 Lukas Odzioba
    120 Claudio André
     11 JimF
      8 Samuele
      4 Vlatko Kosturjak
      3 Solar
      2 bizonix
      1 Sayantan Datta

With git blame -M -C, the line counts are
    510 magnum
    153 Lukas Odzioba
    113 Claudio André
     11 JimF
      8 Samuele
      4 Vlatko Kosturjak
      3 Solar
      2 bizonix
      1 Sayantan Datta

I am sure a git expert can even get more interesting statistics from the
git history.

It is hard to tell automatically how this relates to changes which are
subject to copyright or not, but it can give a first idea.
This list can be misleading, because someone might just have indented
lots of old code.
May be some of the code attributed to magnum has been code from pre-git
patches that have been incorporated into jumbo, I don't know.

Frank