Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 10:24:04 -0500
From: Mark Hatle <fray@...sta.com>
To: xvendor@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: GCC 3.2

Warly wrote:
> Mark Hatle <fray@...sta.com> writes:
 >
>>I'm just curious if anyone else here has worked on migrating forward
>>to GCC 3.2 (on x86) and what problems they have run into.  Especially
>>in the area of building the kernel.
>>
>>So far userland seems to be stable, but the kernel isn't building
>>right..  our guess is that it is our fault and not something in the
>>upstream kernel.  (Kernel 2.4.18 is what we're trying to build right
>>now)
>

> It builds fine here.

just as an update.. we found the problem.  (We were actually building BOTH
2.4.17 and 2.4.18) anyway.. apparently the usage of asmlinkage and FASTCALL in
the do_signal call in the kernel was corrupting registers/stack (or something
like that) 2.4.18pre1 apparently fixes that problem.

Anyway, I thought you folks might find that interesting.

--Mark