Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:04:33 -0500
From: "J.D. Bronson" <jeff@...c.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d on solaris 9

At 07:00 PM 04/28/2003, Solar Designer wrote:
>On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 06:50:14PM -0500, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> > I have compiled popa3d-0.6.3 on solaris 9 (x86) and quite impressed with
> > performance :)
> >
> > However I was wondering if there was any advantage to adjusting any of the
> > settings (buffers?) on params.h for my setup?
>
>Most likely not.  But if you _really_ want to play with this, the two
>settings are FILE_BUFFER_SIZE and RETR_BUFFER_SIZE.  You probably want
>to keep them within a half of your L2 cache size, but possibly larger
>than the default.
>
> > PS. I am not looking for a flame, but just any tips on enhancing
> > performance from a terrific pop3 daemon :)
>
>If you're really into performance, then Solaris/x86 is probably the
>wrong choice.  I suggest that you try with Linux and compare.  We'd be
>interested to hear of your results.

Linux? uhhh.....yea.....

Well I have been an OpenBSD guy, but I like the journaling of Solaris, but
I also maintain serveral sparc machines (solaris is the only OS that truly
seems to run uninhibited on sparc) ...so I am very familiar with this OS.

Thanks for the tips though.

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care