Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:00:27 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d on solaris 9

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 06:50:14PM -0500, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> I have compiled popa3d-0.6.3 on solaris 9 (x86) and quite impressed with
> performance :)
>
> However I was wondering if there was any advantage to adjusting any of the
> settings (buffers?) on params.h for my setup?

Most likely not.  But if you _really_ want to play with this, the two
settings are FILE_BUFFER_SIZE and RETR_BUFFER_SIZE.  You probably want
to keep them within a half of your L2 cache size, but possibly larger
than the default.

> PS. I am not looking for a flame, but just any tips on enhancing
> performance from a terrific pop3 daemon :)

If you're really into performance, then Solaris/x86 is probably the
wrong choice.  I suggest that you try with Linux and compare.  We'd be
interested to hear of your results.

Oh, and I don't mean to start a flame too. :-)

> thanks!

You're welcome. :-)

--
Alexander Peslyak <solar@...nwall.com>
GPG key ID: B35D3598  fp: 6429 0D7E F130 C13E C929  6447 73C3 A290 B35D 3598