Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:18:56 +0400
From: Solar Designer <solar@...nwall.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: popa3d on solaris 9

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 07:04:33PM -0500, J.D. Bronson wrote:
> At 07:00 PM 04/28/2003, Solar Designer wrote:
> >If you're really into performance, then Solaris/x86 is probably the
> >wrong choice.  I suggest that you try with Linux and compare.  We'd be
> >interested to hear of your results.
>
> Linux? uhhh.....yea.....
>
> Well I have been an OpenBSD guy, but I like the journaling of Solaris, but
> I also maintain serveral sparc machines (solaris is the only OS that truly
> seems to run uninhibited on sparc) ...so I am very familiar with this OS.

:-)

I'm sure you have your reasons for the choice, -- but you were asking
for performance. :-)  I don't know of how much Solaris/x86 has been
improving, but when I tried 2.5 some years back it was several times
slower than Linux 2.0.x at this type of task (and somewhat slower on
all other tasks).

If I really wanted popa3d to have the best possible performance on
Solaris, I'd probably need to use mmap(2) and madvice(2) instead of
those buffered reads which work better for other OSes.  But the design
decision was to avoid complicating the code with two implementations.
And I'd expect it to be slower than the current code runs on Linux
anyway.

I currently have a Solaris/sparc and an OpenBSD/vax installs at home,
but Linux is what I use for real.

--
/sd