Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:18:29 +0000
From: Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@...quorum.com>
To: popa3d-users@...ts.openwall.com
Subject: Re: keep messages on server doesn't work?

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:33:35PM +0100, Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> Nuno Teixeira wrote:
>
> > I use fetchmail to this tests with keep option and when it
> > fetches mail it says "not flushed" but every time that I restart
> > fetchmail, it fetch all the mail again. I assume that it is
>
> That's a fetchmail thing and has very little to do with popa3d.
> fetchmail uses by default the deprecated LAST command, which is not
> supported by popa3d. To make fetchmail only get new mail, add the UIDL
> option to your fetchmailrc.

     " Under  POP3, blame RFC1725.  That version of the POP3 protocol specifi-
       cation removed the LAST command, and some POP servers  follow  it  (you
       can verify this by invoking fetchmail -v to the mailserver and watching
       the response to LAST early in the query).  The fetchmail code tries  to
       compensate by using POP3's UID feature, storing the identifiers of mes-
       sages seen in each session until the next  session,  in  the  .fetchids
       file.  But this doesn't track messages seen with other clients, or read
       directly with a mailer on the host but not deleted afterward.  A better
       solution would be to switch to IMAP. "

    What shoul I do:

    	- Use UIDL
    	- Switch to IMAP (please no!)